0

going green...slowly.

I happened to catch a recent Oprah show on Earth Day and realized that I need to start being more environmentally friendly. Shamefully, I'm the one who uses a paper towel each time to dry my hands, does not recycle (out of laziness), and leaves the lights & TV on at night. To make myself feel a bit better, at least I don't litter and I do recycle at work. Anyways, it'll be a slow transition, but at least I am now consciously aware of what I'm doing.

Step 1: Recycle.

I now recycle everything at home..(cardboard, glass, plastic, paper). I had to call up the apartment complex office to find out where their recycle bins are, because apparently they are misused and people dump their trash in them...tsk tsk. See? That's why I never recycled, they don't even have a clear designated place for my recyclables.

Step 2: Reusable Lunch Bags & Water Bottle

I thought I was being environmentally friendly by reusing my plastic bags from Target and Wegmans for lunch bags...but I guess that doesn't count when I turn around and toss them. So, I plan on buying one of those dorky lunch bags (although these are cute). Also, I suppose I could cut back on the multiple plastic water bottles I consume by filling up a reusable water bottle with filtered water.

Step 3: Cut back on water and energy at home

This is pretty challenging. Especially, when it comes to washing Lily's bottles. So, the water consumption will take a bit to get used to, but turning off the lights and unplugging appliances when I'm not using them is easier. I guess I can get used to using the TV timer also, besides, the only thing on after 3am is Paid Programming.

Yes, I know, these 3 steps are simple and I'm sure everyone everywhere is already following these steps, but I like to set immediate goals so I can continue on to greater things, like buying eco-friendly products and using reusable grocery bags.

0 comments:

Post a Comment